Milking It

Monday, December 22, 2008

Hi everyone! I'm still in the CVICU... still doing pretty well. They took out the IV in my neck today. Every time Mommy comes by the nurses tell her how cute they think I am and how I like to snuggle. I've been using my lungs a bit more today--showin' off my attitude a bit!


I'm trying out milk for the first time. Mommy's been pumping every 2-3 hours since I was born (one week ago!!), so there's a stash here at the hospital for me. I take about 10 cc's of milk pretty well then I'm done. That's not enough to satisfy my nurses, though. I don't get this whole working for food thing. So far the IVs have been doing all the work. I also spit up a bit, so they checked to make sure I wasn't aspirating (inhaling my spit-up), and thickened the milk a bit with some rice cereal. But my nurse Jessica said that a lot of cardiac babies have issues like this eating. The ENT people might check me out with a scope tomorrow just to double check everything. For the night I've got a tiny feeding tube to get the milk down to my tummy.


My family's been busy at home getting more stuff ready for my arrival. Grandpa helped out with some handyman chores around the house, and put together a new bookshelf for Mommy. My big sis Racheal and Auntie Heather have also helped organize things so there will be more room for my swing and toys. Grandma brought a bunch of brightly colored presents to put under the tree. Mommy says there are so many gifts waiting there that her friends and family gave me at her shower too. I can't wait to see everything. I won't be home for Christmas, but it will be an even better holiday when I do get there.

4 comments:

Elphadyre said...

You are so precious, Preston. I don't blame you for not following all those bossy nurse's directions. You are learning early on to stand up for yourself! Love to you, your mommy, and your Auntie Heather.

Anonymous said...

hi heather, congrats on becoming an auntie to such a beautiful and strong boy! we're thinking of you and sending good thoughts to preston, his mom and dad and all of you! janet & steve watkins

Anonymous said...

Preston you are so beautiful. You work hard on getting better so Mommie and Sister can bring you home. My prayers are with all of you!! Merry Christmas!!
Sandy Green

Anonymous said...

Jen,
What a beautiful picture of you & little guy together!!! I love it! You both look awesome!
Merry Christmas to you, Preston, Rach, Aunt Heather, and Grandma & Grandpa!
Aim :)